1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.
John 1: 1-4 NIV
Sunday, October 1, 2017
The Future of the Church
We are fortunate to have as our CUC speaker this Sunday Eric Lee, RUMC Associate Minister. His subject will be “The Future of the Church”. This is a subject and a speaker we would all like to hear.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Marlene & Don MacLeod and Lesleigh & Jeff Coelho
CUC Class Attendance Sunday, September 24
106 members, 1 visitor, 1 teacher = 108 !!
CUC Class Contributions Sunday, September 24
The CUC offering- $139.
The total amount given by CUC class members to UMCOR for disaster relief is now $20,029.85.
In addition to their financial support several class members also contributed heavily to the relief effort by arranging for donations of healthcare products and freight delivery services. The value of these gifts-in-kind services is likely to exceed another $20,000!
It has been suggested that CUC not only stands for Christians Under Construction but also Christians United to Contribute – financially and in service.
Message from CUC September 24th lesson
Someone to love
Something to do
Something to hope for
New CUC Computer
CUC has a new computer purchased with funds delegated for that purpose from the CUC Foundation funds. Our computer is used weekly for announcements and to supplement our speaker’s presentations.
Time for CUC Small Group Dinners!
These gracious events give CUCers a chance to gather in smaller groups and really get to know one another. The host household provides the entree and each guest brings a side dish. The host family finds a good date for all guests assigned to them and they organize the menu. If you didn’t have a chance to sign up in class, please contact Mary Serafina or Kris Taylor . You’ll be glad you did!
CUC Retreat Coming Soon!
Starting this week we will begin collecting final payment checks for our Berry College Retreat, November 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
- For signed up couples, the remaining amount is $302.20.
- For signed up singles NOT sharing a room, the remaining amount is $262.32.
- For signed up singles sharing a room, the remaining amount is $196.30.(Except for Brenda Burrell, since she paid a $125.00 deposit, her remaining amount is $212.32)
- Remember that all meals are included in this amount.
- Please make checks out to CUC with 2017 Retreat on the Memo line.
If you have not signed up and would like to attend the retreat, please contact Paul or Sara Beecham or Jim or Jeannie Ehlers. IT IS NOT TOO LATE!! The 2017 CUC Retreat Committee thanks you for your support.
Operation Christmas Child
Dear CUC Members,
I will have the Operation Christmas Child Samaritans Purse boxes in Sunday school the next few weeks. I am enclosing the link below so you may print out the information for your donation, and instructions for filling and payment for shipping. Let’s try to top our goal of 100 boxes.
Collection date is Nov 13, and I will take them to the distribution center.
I hope you have been collecting items to go in your boxes. A big change this year is due to laws regarding imports, and no toothpaste, liquid or food items may go into the boxes. I know children loved those but they cannot be sent.
Please do put toothbrushes and perhaps dry powder tooth cleansing powder, but the brushes help even if they do not have the toothpaste. Grooming supplies and a toy are loved, a tee shirt, crayons, pencil and paper or coloring books to name a few suggestions.
Do not hesitate to call me if you have questions.
Praise be to God,
You are invited to Grow in Faith in 2018
Please join RUMC for one of the following Grow in Faith gatherings with Tom Davis, where we will learn about some specific ways God is working in the lives at RUMC and beyond. Together, we will celebrate what God is doing through you and your support of RUMC. At each of these gatherings, there will be an opportunity to turn in a pledge card or you might want to take some time to pray about your contribution and return it later.Please let RUMC know you are coming by choosing a gathering listed. Each event will include a full meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner).There are six available dates and it is very easy to sign up at rumc.com/gathering.
- Wednesday, Oct. 4, 6:30 p.m.,
- Wednesday, Oct. 11, 12 p.m.,
- Monday, Oct. 16, 12 p.m.,
- Monday, Oct. 23, 7:30 am.
- Sunday, Oct. 29, 12 p.m. (following 11 a.m. Worship service),
- Thursday, Nov. 2, 12 p.m.
The Women’s Dinner is this coming Thursday, Oct. 5 at 6:30 p.m. with best selling author, Nicki Koziarz in the Fellowship Hall. Cost $20. Information/registration: Kristen Heiden, firstname.lastname@example.org
Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
The 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament to benefit The RUMC Foundation, Inc. is set for Monday Oct. 9, 2017. For full information on our 80th birthday tribute opportunity in honor of Dr. Malone Dodson. Information/ Registration: www.rumc.com/golf.
RUMC October Senior Day Trip
Join us for a tour of the Center for Civil and Human Rights, October 16th. We will have lunch at Mellow Mushroom following the tour. The tour is $14 and lunch will be on your own. For more information about the Center for Civil and Human Rights visit: https://www.civilandhumanrights.org/. If you have any questions, email email@example.com or by phone 770-261-1796.
Little Things Mean a Lot!
For the benefit of Red Bird Mission School, please continue to clip Box Tops for Education from several grocery store items and bring them to class. Labels for Education bar codes are still accepted until December 1, 2017, so any brought to CUC will be sent in before then. A recent publication from Red Bird Mission celebrated its 29th, and final, van from Campbell’s Labels for Education Program.
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
- Lynn Adcock to regain strength as she awaits further testing.
- Beth Hamilton for relief of pain from fractured pelvis.
- Scott Woodison – for continued good recovery following his surgery.
- Jim Boswell was diagnosed with symptoms of heart failure about two years ago. He has had it under control with medication and diet until early summer. The cause is decreasing function of the tricuspid valve. Within the last year, research and experimentation have been done on trans-catheter repair of the tricuspid valve in the US and in Europe. The aortic and mitral valves have been repaired with a trans-catheter procedures for some time, but the tricuspid has only been done with open heart surgery. Since Jim has had open heart twice plus stents, open heart is not an option. There are few places in the US performing these new procedures, and one of them is Piedmont Hospital. He has had days of testing to prepare for next steps and will enter Piedmont Hospital on Tuesday, October 17. The procedure will be done on Thursday, October 19. He will remain in the hospital for a couple of days afterwards. We will know immediately after surgery if the valve is repaired. Prayers for a successful outcome, as well as health and peace as they wait would be so appreciated.
- Sue Gardner requests prayers for her brother, who is still being treated for graft vs. host disease. His blood is being treated, but his progress is slow.
- Terry Taylor – back to CUC as he regains his strength following surgery
Ongoing CUC Prayer Request
- Frank Magaro – at Hearthstone Assisted Living in Roswell.
- Betty and Don Gay – now at Cottonwood Retirement Community
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Stella Boayue – October 2
- Wanda Taylor – October 2
- Stan Thomason – October 7
From former members Linda & Al Temples – In Texas they have joined a church and found a Sunday School class as big as CUC ! Linda has found bell choir to play in and will lead their new Sunday School class in singing! They send greetings.
- October 9 – 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournaments
- October 16 – Center for Civil and Human Rights day trip,
- October 21 – Great Day of Service
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College