Sunday, September 10, 2017
One Man’s Journey with the Lord
Paul Beecham will be our teacher this Sunday. We always enjoy Paul’s lessons. His lesson a couple of weeks ago was such that he had us wanting to hear the rest of the story. His topic this week is “One Man’s Journey with the Lord — Continued”.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Sandy & Bill Griffin, Sister & Gannett Backus
CUC Class Attendance
Sunday, September 3
78 total – 77 members,1 teacher.
CUC Class Contributions
Sunday, September 3
Special collection for UMCOR’s hurricane relief amounted to the following:
Several people who were not present last Sunday pledged $3150.The CUC Foundation $1200 was not included, so $11,759 will be starting point going into next Sunday.
It is wonderful to see blessed people, thru God’s help, pass it on. We will take up a collection again this coming Sunday. CUC treasurer Charlie Mason will deposit the cash into the CUC’s bank account and write out a check to RUMC for that amount. Then all the checks will be handed over to Bill Barbour, RUMC’s treasurer.
CUC Endowment Distribution
Jim Boswell announced the recommendations of the CUC Foundation Committee for the distribution of funds from the endowment as follows:
- $500 to replace the aging CUC computer
- $1000 to Murphy Harpst plus $500 additional to furnish a room in the new dormitory there
- $1200 to UMCOR to help in recovery efforts in Texas for critical needs following Hurricane Harvey
This was unanimously approved by the class.
Hurricane Harvey Offering
As we pray for those affected by Hurricane Harvey and the aftermath of this storm know that through your generosity, RUMC financially supports the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR), a team already on the ground in Houston providing relief to victims.
If you feel led to do more, you can support those in need financially by indicating #901670 or “Disaster Relief” on the memo line of your check written to RUMC or by choosing “Disaster Relief” if making a donation online through rumc.com/give. 100% of the money you give to UMCOR in this offering is given to help those in flooded areas. Administrative costs have been paid separately.
You may also participate in our “Flood Bucket” efforts. Visit www.rumc.com/hurricanerelief to learn more. CUC will be taking up a special offering this Sunday.
Parking this Sunday
Chapel Roswell’s two-year anniversary celebration will take place this Sunday, Sept. 10, on the front lawn of the chapel. There will be three food trucks on campus and they will take the parking spaces on the left side of the B-building, if you are facing the chapel.
If there is rain (please pray there is not), the food trucks will park in the handicap spaces behind the fellowship hall. They hope to make temporary handicap spaces available on right side of the B-building, if you are facing the chapel, for this day. Please be aware this possible parking problem if you normally depend on the handicap spaces for parking.
New Adult Bible Studies and Classes
There is still time to sign up for some of the Bible studies. You can join with others for one of the bible study opportunities coming up this fall here at RUMC as we seek to grow in our knowledge of God, scripture, and faith. With a variety of topics, each of these classes will engage in deep study, rich discussion, and communal prayer as participants learn and grow together.
Go to rumc.com/bible studies or pick up a booklet in the lobby to learn more. Go to rumc.com/bible-studies studies or pick up a booklet in the lobby to learn more.
Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
The 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament to benefit The RUMC Foundation, Inc. is set for Monday Oct. 9, 2017. Check out our 80th birthday tribute opportunity in honor of Dr. Malone Dodson. Information/ Registration: www.rumc.com/golf.
Child Development Center Also Celebrates Malone Dodson
Malone Dodson’s 80th birthday is also being celebrated with a benefit for Roswell’s Child Development Center. This will be an event on Sunday, September 17th, at the home of Mayor Jere & Claudia Wood, 10850 Stroup Road, (fish fry, beer, wine, and dancing. $80/person. Tickets: http//bit.ly/MaloneDodsonBirthday
RUMC October Senior Day Trip
Join us for a tour of the Center for Civil and Human Rights, October 16th. We will have lunch at Mellow Mushroom following the tour. The tour is $14 and lunch will be on your own.
For more information about the Center for Civil and Human Rights visit: https://www.civilandhumanrights.org/. If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 770-261-1796.
Get Your Cans To Church!
Remember September is the month RUMC collects food for North Fulton Charities.
Small Things Support Our Various Mission Outreaches!
Please continue collecting the Boxtops labels found on many products. Labels for Education are not printed on as many grocery items any more, but they will be accepted at Red Bird School until the end of 2017. Betty Hunt has sent another batch of labels to Redbird this week.Thanks CUC members!
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
- Charlotte and Malone Dodson are on a cruise to the western Caribbean with their family to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their son Steve’s becoming a Methodist minister. The cruise ship returned to Miami for those who live there or have driven down or could get a flight out They were not able to get a flight out, and the ship is taking them to somewhere safe where they will wait the storm out. Please say a prayer for their safety.
- Lynn Adcock as she has her final course of chemo this coming week.
- Norma Hills – for relief of back and leg pain and mobility issues
- Terry Taylor – for a good recovery as he regains his strength at home following surgery. His progress is slow but sure.
- Scott Woodison – having robotic surgery on Monday, 9/11, at Northside Hospital to hopefully repair a prostate problem. Also prayers for Woodison’s daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren who are in Charleston bracing for the hurricane.
- Martha Jane Mason’s family after her nephew died of colon cancer leaving 11-year-old twins.
- Laverne Lamb – back to CUC class recovering from recent illness
- Sue Gardner is thankful that her brother was able to come home one week early from the hospital. He is progressing well, though he still has some medical issues
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Frank Magaro – at Hearthstone Assisted Living in Roswell.
- Betty and Don Gay – now at Cottonwood Retirement Community
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Jill Caviness – Sept. 14
- Judy & Dal Zierk – Sept. 12, 1964 –53 years!
- Betty & Don Gay – Sept. 16, 1956 – 61 years!
- Rose & Jim Lappe – Sept. 16, 1968 – 49 years
- October 9 – 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournaments
- October 16 – Center for Civil and Human Rights day trip,
- October 21 – Great Day of Service
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College