I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. I pray that they will all be one just as you and I are one – as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.
Sunday, August 13, 2017
Is It God or Just the Wind ?
Dave Mueller is our CUC speaker for this Sunday. Dave is a member of the Bereans Sunday School Class and has spoken to us before. He has chosen “Is it God or just the wind?” as the title of the class.
Dave is encouraging us to bring our Bibles to class or have one available on our phone.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Jan & Allen Buckley and Dick Anthony and Laverne Lamb.
Please also thank Wanda Taylor for her work in organizing which class members bring refreshments each week.
CUC Class Attendance
Sunday, August 6
CUC Class Contributions
Sunday, Aug 6
CUC Wednesday Night Out
44 CUC members enjoyed dinner at Bob Schnakenberg’s son’s Family Traditions Restaurant this past week.
RUMC Wednesday Night Out dinners begin next week, August 16th.
Upscale Garage Sale
Thanks to all CUC members (at least 65 of us!) who came out and helped with our 2017 Garage Sale Extravaganza to support our RUMC Job Networking program.
Thanks to all who donated, volunteered their time and energy, and all those who bought the things collected. Job Networking made over $45,000! Gale Davis reports clothing alone took in $3500 and Dave Roberts reports $1703 from book sales.
Michael O’Neal Summer Singers Concert
The Michael O’Neal Summer Singers will be presenting a concert “Sounds of Today”, choral music by living composers of the 21st century, this Sunday, August 13 at 3:00. Get your tickets ($15) from Virginia Thomason.
Be inspired to serve like Jesus in our church and community. As Linda King announced in CUC Class this past Sunday, you are invited to this “Multiply” event on Saturday, August 26, 8:00 am – 1:00 pm in the chapel for breakfast and lunch and a time of worship with Tom Davis, author Jo Saxton, Tom Alterman, and the Chapel Roswell Band. To register go to rumc.com/multiply.
New Adult Bible Studies and Classes
As a church, we are called to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. We hope you will join us for one of the bible study opportunities coming up this fall here at RUMC as we seek to grow in our knowledge of God, scripture, and faith. With a variety of topics, each of these classes will engage in deep study, rich discussion, and communal prayer as participants learn and grow together. Go to rumc.com/biblestudies or pick up a booklet in the lobby to learn more.
Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
The 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament to benefit The RUMC Foundation, Inc. is set for Monday Oct. 9, 2017. We are offering a special discount for RUMC Members if you register by Aug. 31. Check out our 80th birthday tribute opportunity in honor of Dr. Malone Dodson. Information/ Registration: www.rumc.com/golf.
Small Things Support Our Various Mission Outreaches!
Thank you, CUC members, for participating in a project that helps Red Bird Mission School in rural Kentucky.
The Labels for Education that we have sent to this school are among the 1,500,000 required for the school to be awarded a new school van by the Campbell Company. This van will provide transportation for students depending on this school for their education and also for trips students make during the year.
Labels for Education are not printed on as many grocery items any more, but they will be accepted at Red Bird School until the end of 2017. Any you have will be sent for other needs there. Betty Hunt is collecting the Labels for Education and Box Tops for Education.
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
- Lynn Adcock as she has a couple of weeks off from chemotherapy and regains strength.
- Betty Gay who fell and broke her hip. The Gays are now at Cottonwood Retirement Community in Alpharetta
- Shirley May – who has been suffering from very severe joint pain.
- Terry Taylor – was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday. He and Wanda would appreciate our CUC family to pray for Terry and their family as he goes through a procedure on Friday (8-11) and surgery next week, and to have complete healing.
- MariAnna Brown ‘s brother for a good recovery following a liver transplant
- Sue Gardner requests prayers for her brother Dave Dowling, who has had a recurrence of multiple myeloma and will be having a bone marrow transplant on August 17.
- Shirley & PD May are great-grandparents for the 3rd time with the birth of a great-granddaughter, Emily Christina.
- Dave Wistrand – Good news from doctor concerning test following Eye Stroke: nothing serious to keep him from trip. Needs more exercise and when back to see vascular doc and stress test. Thanks for your prayers.
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Frank Magaro – at Hearthstone assisted living in Roswell. (2 blocks behind Hooters!) Any volunteers to bring Frank to CUC and church?
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Gale Davis – August 14
- Shaw Skillings – August 17
- John Phelps – August 18
- Sue & Hugh Gardener – August 18, 1970 – 47 years
- Aug 26 – Multiply!
- October 9 – 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College