If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.
1 Corinthians 13:3
Sunday, July 2, 2016
This Sunday and next, Sally Dowland is teaching CUC. Her topic is “Digging Deeper”. She will explore the “little words” and reference in the Bible and describe how archaeological discoveries can bring a new depth to the understanding of the Bible’s familiar texts. This should be most interesting.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Mary Serafina, Norma Taylor, and Dee & Bill Scott.
CUC Class Attendance
Sunday, June 25
Sunday, June 25
CUC Welcomed Tom & Gina
Thanks to our Social Committee especially MariAnna Brown and Claudia Phelps for putting together a great party for CUC to welcome Tom and Gina Davis this past Wednesday night. A good time was had by all and all had an opportunity to meet and greet Tom and Gina.
There will be no CUC Wednesday Night Out this coming week
MUST Summer Lunch Program
CUC sandwich makers put together 760 sandwiches in 2 1/2 hours last time on June 20th. Now some will be done this coming week on July 6th.
Our CUC team of volunteers will also put together the lunch bags again July 18, and August 1.
The Griffins and Coelhos are co-chairing the organization and implementation for CUC to participate in the MUST lunch program.
Last Call for Retreat Deposits
Everyone who plans to attend the retreat at Berry College Nov. 1,2,and 3 must have their deposits to Sara or Paul Beecham for their retreat confirmation by July 6.
We may not be able to hold their spot without a deposit. ($75 per person; $150 per couple). At this point we have 27 couples and 11 singles signed up to go.
Job Networking Party
Bob Schnackenberg encourages all CUC members who have helped with Job Networking to plan to came to the Job Networking party at Katherine & Craig Simons home on July 26. Sign up with Karen Griggs in the Job Networking office.
Summer 2017 Mission Close-Ups!
RUMC is blessed to work alongside some amazing local mission partners. We are offering a way for you to get some hands-on knowledge about our agencies. These tours will last up to an hour and will give you a deeper understanding of what they do and who they reach. All tours except 7/25 will be held at the agency. Please go to rumc.com/serve to learn more/sign up for one or more of the tours:
- Tues. 7/11 – The Drake House,
- Wed. 7/12 – HomeStretch,
- Tues. 7/25 – Action Ministries(RUMC),
- Wed. 7/26 – Foster Care Support Foundation
Meet Me In St. Louis
Tickets for Acting Up’s summer musical, Meet Me In St. Louis,
- Thursday July 27 and
- Friday, July 28 at 7:00 PM ,
- Saturday, July 29, 1:00 and 5:00 and
- Sunday , July 30, at 4:00,
are on sale. Get your tickets as you leave the sanctuary on Sunday, or call the box office at 678.871.7766 or order at itickets.com.
Upscale Garage Sale Preparations
One month away!! Continue gathering your treasures for the Garage Sale Extravaganza Aug. 3-5! Continue putting aside your good stuff to sell. Mark your calendar so you won’t miss the fun of working with other CUC and RUMC members helping to put on this big fundraiser for Job Networking.
We will be collecting items on these Sundays in July: 2, 9, 16, 23 & 30. Items can be dropped off behind the Chapel building from 8:45 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and then again from 10:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
All clothing should be on hangers and loose items in stack-able boxes.
Small Things Support Our Various Mission Outreaches!
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
For Red Bird Missions watch for those Boxtops For Education and Labels for Education (include the bar code) for Betty Hunt
- Lynn Adcock – pray for her as she completes her course of radiation and chemo this past week.
- Julian Belote – for a good recovery following knee replacement surgery
- Brenda Burrell – for a good recovery following foot surgery
- Betty Hunt – for relief of continuing back and leg pain. Betty writes -Thank you sincerely, CUC members, for all your many kindnesses while I was dealing with spinal nerve damage with referred pain to the right leg. I have truly missed being with you every Sunday that I had to miss and look forward to returning…walking normally!
- Linda & Al Temples – for safe travels and happiness ever after as they leave us this Saturday for their new home in Texas.
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Frank Magaro – at Hearthstone assisted living in Roswell. (2 blocks behind Hooters!) Any volunteers to bring Frank to CUC and church?
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- –#– none –#–
- Nancy & Dave Wistrand – July 2, 1994 – 23 years
- Larry & Ann Douglas – July 6, 1968 – 49 years
- July 27-30 – “Meet Me In St. Louis”
- Aug. 3-5 – The Upscale Garage Sale
- October 9 – 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College