If I could speak all the languages of earth and angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
1 Corinthians 13:1
Sunday, June 18, 2016
Happy Father’s Day!
CUC has been an active supporter of Homestretch since its very beginning. This Sunday we will have Rose Burton, Homestretch Executive Director as our CUC speaker. She will update us on the mission of Homestretch to provide affordable temporary housing for working homeless families and how it has changed over the years.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Lynda & Bob Leckie and Ann & Larry Douglas.
CUC Class Attendance
Sunday, June 11
78 members + 6 visitors + I teacher = 85
CUC Treasurer Report
Charlie Mason reports that the special collection for the MUST Ministries summer lunch program raised a total of $4252.
Several class members have said that they would like to see the amount of each Sunday’s CUC offering listed along with the previous week’s attendance figures. The offering for June 11 was $93.
Welcoming Tom and Gina
There will be a scroll outside the CUC Classroom this Sunday for CUC members to sign which will be presented to welcome Tom and Gina Davis when they begin their ministry at RUMC in a few weeks.
Save the date,Wednesday, June 28, 2017,5:30 pm for our buffet dinner for CUC to welcome our new minister, Tom Davis and his wife Gina. They will be our guests. The cost is $23 per person. We would like all money turned in by this Sunday for those who are attending. Claudia Phelps and MariAnna Brown are planning this event.
The event will be at The Diner at North Point, 2355 Mansell Rd. Alpharetta. We will also have a box to collect welcome notes, cards, etc. in the CUC Class (or people may bring them in the night of the dinner). It looks like it is going to be a good party!
Thank You Dr. Harvey West
Dr. Harvey West is preaching at Sunday’s worship service. This is Harvey’s farewell service as he is retiring from his position at RUMC. We urge all CUC members to attend the 11:00 AM worship service this Sunday to show our appreciation for Harvey.
You are invited to a reception in the Welcome Center for Harvey and Charlyn West following the 11 a.m. service this Sunday, June 18.
The CUC June 21 Wednesday Night Out Dinner will be at the Olde Blind Dog Irish Pub, 12650 Crabapple Rd, Alpharetta (Milton) [MENU], 5:30 pm.
You may signup on the clipboard passing Sunday or contact Pat or Grady Phillips.
25 people attended this past week’s CUC WNO dinner at HOLA.
For planning purposes you should know that there will not be a Wednesday Night Out dinner on June 28 or July 5.
MUST Summer Lunch Program
- We will be making 800 sandwiches at 8:00 AM this coming Tuesday , June 20. The CUC members who will be helping that day have been called to be reminded. The rest of our volunteers may be needed at another date. Our CUC team of volunteers will put together the lunch bags on June 20, July 18, and August 1.
- The Griffins and Coelhos are co-chairing the organization and implementation for CUC to participate in the MUST lunch program. Jim Boswell has been involved with raising funds and has announced that we have raised sufficient funds to make the lunches.
CUC Fall Retreat Deposits are Due
Everyone who plans to attend the retreat at Berry College in the fall should bring their deposit checks by the end of June to Sara or Paul Beecham for their retreat confirmation.
We may not be able to hold their spot without a deposit. ($75 per person; $150 per couple).
Trip to Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers
Join a group from RUMC Thursday, June 29 at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA. Lunch will be at Blue Willow Inn. The tour is free, lunch is paid individually. We will leave from the parlor at 9:00 am. Reservations, Andrea Cummings, email@example.com
Summer 2017 Mission Close-Ups!
RUMC is blessed to work alongside some amazing local mission partners. We are offering a way for you to get some hands-on knowledge about our agencies. These tours will last up to an hour and will give you a deeper understanding of what they do and who they reach.
All tours except 6/21 and 7/25 will be held at the agency. Please go to rumc.com/serve to learn more/sign up for one or more of the tours:
- Tues. 6/20 – North Fulton Community Charities
- Wed. 6/21 – Family Promise (RUMC ),
- Tues. 7/11 – The Drake House
- Wed. 7/12 – HomeStretch
- Tues. 7/25 – Action Ministries(RUMC)
- Wed. 7/26 – Foster Care Support Foundation
36th Annual Roswell Patriotic Celebration Concerts
The Roswell Patriotic Celebration Concerts will be Friday, June 23, at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, June 25, at 3 p.m. Complimentary tickets are available in the south lobby following the worship service, in the main office in the Chapel building, in the Worship Arts office in the Sanctuary building, or by sending a SASE to RUMC Patriotic Tickets, 814 Mimosa Blvd., Roswell, GA 30075. Information: 770.594.0512.
Meet Me In St. Louis
Tickets for Acting UP’s summer musical, Meet Me In St. Louis, July 27-30, are on sale. Call the box office at 678.871.7766 or order at itickets.com.
Upscale Garage Sale Preparations
Continue gathering your treasures for the Garage Sale Extravaganza Aug. 3-5!
August will be here before you know it! Continue putting aside your good stuff to sell. Mark your calendar so you won’t miss the fun of working with other CUC and RUMC members helping to put on this big fundraiser for Job Networking.
Small Things Support Our Various Mission Outreaches!
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
For Red Bird Missions watch for those Boxtops For Education and Labels for Education (include the bar code) for Betty Hunt
- Lynn Adcock – pray for her as she continues radiation and has more chemo next week.
- Julian Belote – having knee replacement surgery next Monday, June 19, for a successful surgery and quick recovery
- Betty Hunt – for relief of severe back and leg pain
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Frank Magaro –has been moved to Hearthstone assisted living in Roswell. It is close to his care-giver and RUMC.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- –/– none –/–
- Cecelia & Bob Moore – June 20, 1970- 47 years
- Jan & Allen Buckley –June 22, 1992 – 26 years
- June 18 – Farewell for Dr. Harvey West
- June 20 – 8:00 AM Sandwich-making in the DOD
- June 23, 7:30 p.m., June 25, 3 p.m. – 36th Patriotic Celebration Concerts
- June 28 –Welcome Tom Davis & Gina
- June 29 – RUMC trip to Monastery of the Holy Spirit
- July 27-30 – “Meet Me In St. Louis”
- Aug. 3-5 – The Upscale Garage Sale
- October 9 – 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College