When we have, through Christ, obtained mercy for our persons, we need not fear but that we shall have suitable and seasonable help for our duties.
John Owen, 17th century Puritan theologian
Sunday, June 11, 2017
The CUC lesson on Sunday will be delivered by Bruce Tainowitz. Bruce is a Messianic Jew who will talk about his faith.
CUC Class Attendance
Sunday, June 4
73 members + 1 teacher = 74 total
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Judy & Sieg Hoogstraal and Rose & Jim Lappe.
You may signup on the clipboard when passed Sunday or contact Pat or Grady Phillips .
For planning purposes you should know that there will not be a Wednesday Night Out dinner on June 28 or July 5.
MUST Summer Lunch Program
- Sandy Griffin and her team of volunteers will put together the lunch bags on June 20, July 18, and August 1. Please make checks payable to RUMC and not to the CUC Class. Mark on the memo line that the check is for the MUST Summer Lunch program. We have arranged with Bill Barbour, RUMC’s Treasurer, for these contributions to be credited onto each individual’s annual giving statement from the church office.
Now it is up to the rest of us to help in making lunches! Sandy is asking for many hands to gather to make 800 sandwiches in the DOD at 8:00 AM on Tuesday , June 20.
- The Griffins and Coelhos have agreed to co-chair the organization and implementation for CUC to participate in the MUST lunch program. Jim Boswell has agreed to manage the financial side of the program.
- This information should be helpful for you to decide how many lunches you would like to support. Completed Peanut butter ‘n’ Jelly lunch will be $1.00, Complete Ham and Cheese lunch is $1.35. Complete Turkey and Cheese lunch is $1.45. Three (3) families are already giving a check for $500 each and we encourage you to be prayerful and consider making a nice contribution.
- RUMC has committed to making 37,000 lunches in this summer program. The church will be working with CUC so your contribution will be tax deductible and shown on your annual RUMC statement.
CUC Fall Retreat Deposits are Due
Everyone who plans to attend the retreat at Berry College in the fall should bring their deposit checks by the end of June to Sara or Paul Beecham for their retreat confirmation . We may not be able to hold their spot without a deposit. ($75 per person; $150 per couple).
Welcoming Tom and Gina
Save the date …..Wednesday, June 28, 2017… 5:30 pm
This is a buffet dinner for CUC to welcome our new minister, Tom Davis and his wife Gina. They will be our guests. The cost will be about $23 per person.
Claudia Phelps and MariAnna Brown will begin circulating a sign up sheet Sunday, June 4. Checks are $23 per person made payable to CUC and memo line can say for June 28.
We will also have a box to collect welcome notes, cards, etc. (or people may bring them in the night of the dinner). We would like all checks turned in 2 weeks ahead if possible.
Trip to Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers
Join a group from RUMC Thursday, June 29 at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA. Lunch will be at Blue Willow Inn. The tour is free, lunch is paid individually. We will leave from the parlor at 9:00 am. Reservations, Andrea Cummings, email@example.com
Upscale Garage Sale Preparations
We are looking for storage space for early Garage Sale donations from June 1 to July 31. It Can be an unused/partially full storage unit, extra garage or any space that doesn’t involve steps and can be gotten to easily.
Please contact Donna Litton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 678-358-8050 directly if you know of space available we can use.
Continue gathering your treasures for the Garage Sale Extravaganza Aug. 3-5! August will be here before you know it! Continue putting aside your good stuff to sell. Mark your calendar so you won’t miss the fun of working with other CUC and RUMC members helping to put on this big fundraiser for Job Networking.
Small Things Support Our Various Mission Outreaches!
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
For Red Bird Missions watch for those Boxtops For Education and Labels for Education (include the bar code) for Betty Hunt
- Lynn Adcock – pray for her as she continues daily radiation. The latest report is that the tumors have shrunk.
- Betty Hunt – for relief of severe back and leg pain following procedure this past Tuesday
- Johnie Wright – on mission trip to Peru
- Norma Taylor – on the death of her brother Orest “Tony” Zuchegno on May 26
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Frank Magaro –has been moved to Hearthstone assisted living in Roswell. It is close to his care-giver and RUMC.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
From Pat and Ron Peterson – We want to thank our friends in CUC for your prayers, visits, telephone calls and cards.They meant so much to us and our daughter Karen’s family during this difficult time.
We saved the cards and Karen will be sharing them with her children. Losing a husband and father is never easy. The beautiful cards with their comforting comments will help ease the pain. God bless you all.
- Jan Ligon – June 11
- John Goss – June 16
- Caryn & Scott Woodison – June14, 1969 – 48 years
- Beth & Bob Hamilton – June 17, 1961 – 56 years !
- Katherine & Craig Simons – June 17, 1967 – 50 years !!
- June 18 – Farewell for Dr. Harvey West
- June 20 – 8:00 AM Sandwich-making in the DOD
- June 23, 7:30 p.m., June 25, 3 p.m. -Patriotic Celebration Concerts
- June 28 –Welcome Tom Davis & Gina
- June 29 – RUMC trip to Monastery of the Holy Spirit
- July 27-30 – “Meet Me In St. Louis”
- Aug. 3-5 – The Upscale Garage Sale
- October 9 – 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College