Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
Sunday, June 4, 2017
Don’t Forget! In order to be able to attend the combined service on Sunday June 4, CUC will be meeting earlier starting our class promptly at 9:15 to hear a special speaker, Rev. Ron Greer, Director of Pastoral Counseling Service at Peachtree Road UMC. His topic is entitled: “A Life of Integrity”.
Please try to be in class by 9:00 am
CUC Class Attendance
Sunday, May 28
76 members + 4 visitors = 80 total
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Sue & Hugh Gardner and Norma & Dave Hills.
One Service on Sunday, June 4
This will an important Sunday to be at RUMC. All of RUMC and Chapel Roswell will gather in the Sanctuary at 10:30 am for one service to celebrate Mike Long’s 16 years of service at RUMC on his final Sunday with us. A reception for Mike and Terri will follow the service in the Fellowship Hall.
WNO dining will be at 5:30 pm – Wed, June 7th at Crabapple Tavern, 12350 Arnold Mill Rd, Alpharetta [MENU]. As normal, a sign-up sheet will be passed on Sunday. Questions may be directed to Larry or Ann Douglas, 770-993-1270.
MUST Summer Lunch Program
Flash message from Jim Boswell:
Here is the deal……..We have enough donations to make 2537 lunches, which is “great”. Last Sunday was a holiday weekend and a short crowd.
We wanted to give everyone a chance to contribute, so the basket will be passed one more time, this Sunday.
Our goal is to make 800 lunches four times, or 3200 lunches for the summer program. If we could get $895 this Sunday we could reach our goal. (Complete Ham & Cheese Lunch – cost $1.35). Make your checks out to RUMC with Must Summer Lunch Program on the memo line. Let’s feed the hungry children.!!!
- From Charlie Mason:
The special offering for the summer lunch program last Sunday totaled $2983. This money will be used by the CUC Class to purchase the food supplies to make up the lunch bags. Each lunch bag costs approximately $1.45 to assemble. Make your checks out to RUMC with Must Summer Lunch Program on the memo line.
- Sandy Griffin and her team of volunteers will put together the lunch bags on June 20, July 18, and August 1. Please make checks payable to RUMC and not to the CUC Class. Mark on the memo line that the check is for the MUST Summer Lunch program. We have arranged with Bill Barbour, RUMC’s Treasurer, for these contributions to be credited onto each individual’s annual giving statement from the church office.
- The Griffins and Coelhos have agreed to co-chair the organization and implementation for CUC to participate in the MUST lunch program. Jim Boswell has agreed to manage the financial side of the program.
- This information should be helpful for you to decide how many lunches you would like to support. Completed Peanut butter ‘n’ Jelly lunch will be $1.00, Complete Ham and Cheese lunch is $1.35. Complete Turkey and Cheese lunch is $1.45. Three (3) families are already giving a check for $500 each and we encourage you to be prayerful and consider making a nice contribution.
- RUMC has committed to making 37,000 lunches in this summer program. The church will be working with CUC so your contribution will be tax deductible and shown on your annual RUMC statement.
CUC Fall Retreat Deposits are Due
Everyone who plans to attend the retreat at Berry College in the fall should bring their deposit checks by the end of June to Sara or Paul Beecham for their retreat confirmation . We may not be able to hold their spot without a deposit. ($75 per person; $150 per couple).
Welcoming Tom and Gina
Save the date …..Wednesday, June 28, 2017… 5:30 pm
This is a buffet dinner for CUC to welcome our new minister, Tom Davis and his wife Gina. They will be our guests. The cost will be about $23 per person.
Claudia Phelps and MariAnna Brown will begin circulating a sign up sheet Sunday, June 4. Checks are $23 per person made payable to CUC and memo line can say for June 28.
We will also have a box to collect welcome notes, cards, etc. (or people may bring them in the night of the dinner). We would like all checks turned in 2 weeks ahead if possible.
Trip to Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers
Join a group from RUMC Thursday, June 29 at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit in Conyers, GA. Lunch will be at Blue Willow Inn. The tour is free, lunch is paid individually. We will leave from the parlor at 9:00 am. Reservations, Andrea Cummings, email@example.com
Upscale Garage Sale Preparations
We are looking for storage space for early Garage Sale donations from June 1 to July 31. It Can be an unused/partially full storage unit, extra garage or any space that doesn’t involve steps and can be gotten to easily.
Please contact Donna Litton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 678-358-8050 directly if you know of space available we can use.
Continue gathering your treasures for the Garage Sale Extravaganza Aug. 3-5! August will be here before you know it! Continue putting aside your good stuff to sell. Mark your calendar so you won’t miss the fun of working with other CUC and RUMC members helping to put on this big fundraiser for Job Networking.
Small Things Support Our Various Mission Outreaches!
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House which Nancy and Johnie Wright are collecting.
For Red Bird Missions watch for those Boxtops For Education and Labels for Education (include the bar code) for Betty Hunt
- Lynn Adcock – pray for her as she continues daily radiation and has another course of chemo this coming week
- Tom Cantrell – for continued improvement and relief of pain
- Jackie Hubbard –for continuing improvement following knee surgery
- Betty Hunt – for relief of severe back and leg pain
- Mary Serafina’s daughter Cindy for a return to health following severe complications of diabetes.
- Pat & Ron Peterson – prayers for their daughter Karen and her children, James and Chelsea after the sudden death of her husband Jeff Scarborough.
- MariAnna Brown’s brother Wendell to find an appropriate donor for transplant
- John Sharp – their brother-in-law Steve Horton, is having surgery for a mass attached to his intestines.
- T.J. McCready – who had a massive heart attack
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Frank Magaro – at Brookdale-Neese Road Assisted Living Facility in Woodstock.
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Tom Cantrell – he was in class last Sunday and reports that he is continuing to improve.
- Frank Magaro – is moving to Hearthstone assisted living in Roswell. It is close to his care-giver and RUMC.
- Kris Taylor – it is 102 day’s until Myra Ettenborough is released.
- Sun, Jun 4: Louise Booysen
- Sun, Jun 4: Charlie Mason
- Tue, Jun 6: Julianna Goodson
- Wed, Jun 7: Jackie Hubbard
- Wed, Jun 7: Grady Phillips
- Fri, Jun 9: Terry Taylor
- Thu, Jun 8: Claudia and John Phelps – June 8, 1968 – 49 years!
- Fri, Jun 9: Kris and Dave Taylor – June 9, 1968 – 49 years!
- Sat, Jun 10: Martha and Tom Knight – June 19, 1961 – 56 years!
- June 23, 7:30 p.m., June 25, 3 p.m. -Patriotic Celebration Concerts
- June 28 –Welcome Tom Davis & Gina
- June 29 – RUMC trip to Monastery of the Holy Spirit
- July 27-30 – “Meet Me In St. Louis”
- Aug. 3-5 – The Upscale Garage Sale
- October 9 – 20th Annual Malone Dodson Golf Tournament
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat – Winshape Center, Berry College