Sunday, April 2, 2017
The Torture and Humiliation of the King
Our own Tom Knight is scheduled to teach CUC this Sunday, April 2nd. He continues with the Adam Hamilton Lenten series ’24 Hours that Changed the World’. He is covering Chapter 5 ‘The Torture and Humiliation of the King’. Tom always brings us a good lesson.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Virginia Hardy, Linda & Jim Boswell, and Pat Stamps
CUC Class Attendance
March 26, 2017 – 92 members
Love Offering for RUMC Custodial Staff
Thank you CUC! You came through with loving and generous support for our dear custodial staff. We were able to provide $650 for each of the seven out-going staff members. Special thanks to Claudia Phelps and Beverly Tatom who worked with Pat Kelly to place the checks in each person’s hand. Pat reports the staff’s surprise and deep gratitude to be honored in the very tangible and helpful way.
CUC Small Group Dinners
Here is another opportunity for an evening of food and fellowship at one of our CUC Small Group dinners. The clipboard for signups was passed this Sunday and will be next Sunday also. What a great chance to get to know CUC members better in a smaller setting than on Sunday mornings! For questions or to sign up contact Beth Hamilton.
CUC Fall Retreat
As many of us are looking forward to the CUC fall retreat November 1,2, and 3 (Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday) at Winshape on the campus of Berry College, Jim Ehlers is asking that we get the names of those who are planning to attend by this Friday, March 31, so that he can have a count on the number who are going so that he can reserve an appropriate number of rooms. A signup clipboard was passed the past two Sunday and Jim asks that anyone who plans to go notify him so he has a count.
Preparing for Honduras Mission Trip
We will have our last Honduras preparation (crafts and supplies) gathering next Friday, April 7. Join the fun at Gale Davis’s. The time is 1:30 or anytime after.
First Sunday Chapel Communion Service
Dr. Harvey West will be leading the Chapel Communion Service this Sunday at 8:15 a.m. In his letter to the Romans, Paul wrote: “The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.” What encouraging words those give us to reflect on as we move through the remaining days of Lent toward the celebration of Resurrection Day.
This Sunday, in the Chapel at 3 PM will be a presentation of the silent movie Ben Hur to the accompaniment of the Strand Theater organist.
Homestretch Run the River Road Race
CUC has always been a big supporter of the big fundraising event, the Road Race. Let’s continue the tradition and donate to the Congregational Challenge supporting Eric Lee for RUMC. RUMC has won the Congregational Challenge every year but one. Let’s keep up our support! Contact George Waite with any questions or pledges.
Also, the CUC Class supports the race with lots of volunteers. Please sign up and help. Tom Knight is collecting names and assigning jobs. The race is April 22 and you’ll be free for the day by about 10:00 a.m! A few volunteers are also needed for jobs leading up to the day.
Upscale Garage Sale
Garage Sale Extravaganza –Aug. 3-5. Continue gathering your treasures!
August will be here before you know it! Start putting aside your good stuff to sell. Mark your calendar so you won’t miss the fun of working with other CUC and RUMC members helping to put on this big fundraiser for Job Networking.
Small Things Support Our Various Mission Outreaches!
Please continue to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House and bring them in to Nancy Wright.
For Red Bird Missions watch for those boxtops and labels for Betty Hunt.
- Lynn Adcock who will be having a biopsy of a suspicious area of her right lung this coming Wednesday.
- Marlene MacLeod – Still in much pain with fractured clavicle
- Don McNew for fast healing following surgery
- Cecelia Moore – for good results of tests this week
- For Myra Attenborough, Kris Taylor’s friend to receive her furlough in May in order to get on with her life following undeserved prison time.
- For those faithful employees of RUMC whose jobs have been recently cut due to decreased funding and reorganization.
- Mary Lee & Dick Copeland are back and their daughter Becky Copeland, who has taught CUC a number of times, has accepted a job as Assistant Professor of Theology at Boston University.
- Linda Temples – her kidney function has remained stable so that dialysis will not be required
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Pat Peterson as she continues to deal with health problems
- Frank and Betty Magaro at Brookdale – Neese Road Assisted Living, Woodstock
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Dave Roberts – April 4
- Gannett Backus – April 4
- April 22 – Homestretch Run the River Road Race
- May 4 – Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration.
- Aug. 3-5 – The Upscale Garage Sale
- November 1, 2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat- Winshape Center, Berry College