Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.
He fasted forty days and forty nights, and afterwards he was famished.
Sunday, March 5, 2017
CUC meets at 9 am for Social Time, Linda Boswell will do the announcements, and we will adjourn at 9:30 am to the Fellowship hall for the:
Continuum of Care in the Fellowship Hall
9:30 a.m. Continuum of Care Panel: hear representatives from agencies outlining the processes available to guide qualified families on their return to sustainable living. Open to all adults, SS classes and other individuals invited.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Jeannie & Jim Ehlers, Patricia Mashburn, and Bob Morisey.
CUC Class Attendance
February 26, 2017
88 members, no visitors – total 88
If you have a prayer request or an announcement to be included in the Friday email to the CUC members for the next week for Sunday – March 12 please forward it to Doug Tatom by Thursday evening. If there is an urgent request, he can distribute it also.
CHRISTIANS UNDER CONSTRUCTION ENDOWMENT FUND
“The CUC Endowment continues to grow and provides us with another opportunity to do something worthwhile. We will have approx $2,700 to distribute this year.”
Endowment Fast Facts
- Date Established: 6/26/2008
- Annual Distributions to be used for – a purpose determined by the donor (CUC Sunday School Class) each year and communicated to the gift distribution committee of the Foundation in writing or for RUMC’s general purpose needs if no specific purpose is documented.
- Fund Corpus Amount at Inception: $25,000
- Corpus Amount as of 12/31/16: $52,786.89
- Account Balance as of 12/31/16: $60,467.32
- Lifetime Distributions: $10,834.21
THIS ENDOWMENT’S CHRISTIAN LEGACY IN ACTION
This fund continues to grow through regular gifts from the generous CUC Sunday School
class members. Each year, the class’ endowment committee meets to make sure that the
funds are used in a way or ways that are meaningful to the class as a whole. This endowment was the first in the Foundation’s portfolio to be created by a Sunday School class and has inspired other Sunday School classes to begin creating their own endowments.
2016 Grants fulfilled: Provided support of RUMC’s Altar Guild and for an accessible
ramp at RUMC’s Chapel building, and furnished a room at Murphy-Harpst Children’s
2015 Grants fulfilled: Provided a gift to establish the Malone and Charlotte Dodson
Endowment to support Mentoring Ministries and the RUMC Foundation.
2014 Grants fulfilled: Helped to purchase a golf cart for the purpose of transporting
members between A and B buildings on Sunday mornings so that no one has to choose
between worship and Sunday School attendance.
Face to Face Encounter
Some of you have been approached about attending the Walk to Emmaus where you would spend three days and nights in a dorm at the Kings Retreat in Dallas, GA.
Well, there is a new version of the WTE, called Face to Face Encounters. There are 4-day time sessions, lasting 6 hours, each from 9 – 3. There are 2 sessions on Monday and Tuesday and then 2 the next week on Monday and Tuesday. And you get to go home and sleep in your own bed.
It is coed(husbands and wives or singles), and you need to be 60 or older.
There are 4 encounters this year.
The next encounter is March 13, 14, 20, and 21st @ Mt. Zion UMC.
And then there is one – May 23, 24, 30, 31 @ Kennesaw UMC.
This is not a group project. For each encounter, they only allow 6 people from one church to attend. At the most, there are 42 people that can attend. You can contact me to sign up or approach the person that has approached you in the past that has asked you to attend.
Contact Michael Ewing for more information
Global Impact Celebration!
Plan to participate in the GIC programs March 3-5,“Life on Mission”, an up-close and personal look at poverty and homelessness in our community.
Poverty and Homelessness are prevalent right here in Roswell. GIC 2017 will focus on education and awareness of issues surrounding these challenges, and share ways RUMC can make an impact in real people’s lives. You will have an opportunity to learn about our local mission partners and the services they offer.
Go to the RUMC website for full information: http://www.rumc.com/globalimpact/
To sign up for any of the GIC events: http://www.signupgenius.com
Honduras Mission Trip
Gale and Roger Davis write that the Honduras mission trip scheduled for April still needs participants!! The missions committee of the church has made some funds available for participants.
The Board of Stewards Meeting Wednesday night voted to help us fund mission trip volunteers! We are REALLY hoping that this new funding will help with individual costs enough that you will now be able to join us! We are short 10 people for our April 20 trip!! To date, 10 of your best friends are signed up! We need you!
There will be a $500 credit toward an RUMC International mission trip for attendance at 4 of the following GIC events : Thursday Men’s or Women’s events, Friday morning Tour, Friday night Poverty simulation, Friday night dinner at Elizabeth Inn, Saturday morning Stop Hunger event, Saturday afternoon block party, any Sunday worship service (volunteering at any event is included) Credit of $250 toward an RUMC International mission trip expense for attendance at 3 of the above mentioned events. Non-transferrable.
Only RUMC members are eligible and, credits only apply to RUMC trips in 2017. Note: this will not be a strenuous trip. We will be on bumpy roads traveling in a van or bus but we can all handle the projects! Complete information can be found at http://wwwrumc.com/honduras
School Supplies for Honduras
We are collecting school supplies for our April trip to Honduras. Items needed are crayons, washable markers, glue( sticks and small bottles), pencil sharpeners, pencils and small scissors. Small dolls and/or stuffed animals (dollar type) also appreciated. Just bring to CUC.
Gale and Sandy Griffin
If you and/or your grandchildren would like to make a craft for the children to make just give Gale a call. Any simple craft with the accompanying supplies will be great. We can also use small cosmetic bags. Thank you.
A New Look at The Odd Couple
Acting UP will present Oscar & Felix: A New Look at The Odd Couple March 17-19 at RUMC. Tickets are on sale in the Sanctuary south lobby and online. Friday and Saturday dinner theater shows are $15/30;
Sunday matinee is $10/$25. Details: rumcActingUP.webs.com
Save those Pull Tops and Labels!
Remember to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House in Atlanta and bring them into Nancy Wright. We’re aiming for 10 pounds worth!
And for Red Bird Missions watch for those boxtops and labels!
- Betty Smith – her long-time friend Joyce Orey passed away Fri, Feb 24 after a fall. She was 81. Please pray for her Husband and family.
- Nancy Van Horn – her co-worker Boris, has stage 4 lung cancer, he is still working and has started chemo. Please pray for him and his family.
- Mary Serafina – her friend June’s grandson – Austin McQueen, has bacterial pneumonia and is on a ventilator. Please pray for his recovery.
- Marianna Brown – Brother – Wendell Ladner needs a liver transplant. Please pray for him and his family.
- Linda Leckie – daughter-in-law – Lulu Leckie, is being tested for heart problems. She is in her 50’s. Please pray for good test results.
- Linda Leckie – grand-daughter – is a student at UGA and she has been accepted for the summer session at Oxford, England. Also, her two grandsons have been accepted to Georgia Tech.
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Barbara Davis, Pat Peterson, Linda Temples as they continue to deal with health problems
- Frank and Betty Magaro at Brookdale – Neese Road Assisted Living, Woodstock
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Wed Mar 8 – Johnie Wright
- Sat Mar 11 – Betty Smith
- Sat Mar 11 – Barbara & Bob Davis – 1961 – 56 years!
- March 2-5 – Global Impact Celebration
- April 22 – Homestretch Run the River Road Race
- May 4 – Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration.
- Aug. 3-5 – The Upscale Garage Sale
- November 1,2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat- Winshape Center, Berry College