Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and truth.
1 John 3:18
Sunday, February 26, 2017
Lenten series: 24 Hours that Changed the World
John Sharp will be Introducing our 2017 Lenten series and covering the Last Supper. Be sure to be in class as John lead’s us in our 1st Lenten lesson!
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Sharon & Tom Erdman, Linda Mooney, and Jan Ligon!
CUC Class Attendance
February 19, 2017
100 members, 3 visitors, and 1 Teacher – total 104
If you have a prayer request or an announcement to be included in the Friday email to the CUC members for the next 2 weeks for Sundays – March 5, or March 12 please forward it to Doug Tatom by Thursday evening. If there is an urgent request, he can distribute it also.
Face to Face Encounter
Some of you have been approached about attending the Walk to Emmaus where you would spend three days and nights in a dorm at the Kings Retreat in Dallas, GA.
Well, there is a new version of the WTE, called Face to Face Encounters. There are 4-day time sessions, lasting 6 hours, each from 9 – 3. There are 2 sessions on Monday and Tuesday and then 2 the next week on Monday and Tuesday. And you get to go home and sleep in your own bed.
It is coed(husbands and wives or singles), and you need to be 60 or older.
There are 4 encounters this year.
The next encounter is March 13, 14, 20, and 21st @ Mt. Zion UMC.
And then there is one – May 23, 24, 30, 31 @ Kennesaw UMC.
This is not a group project. For each encounter, they only allow 6 people from one church to attend. At the most, there are 42 people that can attend. You can contact me to sign up or approach the person that has approached you in the past that has asked you to attend.
Contact Michael Ewing for more information
A Need for books at Murphy-Harpst
The recent visit to Murphy-Harpst Children’s Centers provided new insights, one of which is a real need of teenagers for age-appropriate books. The library is poorly stocked. One young lady happy with her new bedroom (partly furnished by CUC) has only three books which she reads and rereads.
The Mission Outreach Committee proposes an ongoing collection of books teenagers would like for recreational reading. Please ask any teenagers you know for suggestions of titles and book donations. The contact person at Murphy-Harpst approves this message.
Get Your Cans To Church!
February Is RUMC’s Month to fill the pantry at North Fulton Community Charities. A list of items is available at rumc.com/nfcc. Drop off non-perishable items Sundays at church and weekdays in the main office.
Global Impact Celebration!
Plan to participate in the GIC programs March 3-5,“Life on Mission”, an up-close and personal look at poverty and homelessness in our community.
Poverty and Homelessness are prevalent right here in Roswell. GIC 2017 will focus on education and awareness of issues surrounding these challenges, and share ways RUMC can make an impact in real people’s lives. You will have an opportunity to learn about our local mission partners and the services they offer.
Go to the RUMC website for full information: http://www.rumc.com/globalimpact/
To sign up for any of the GIC events: http://www.signupgenius.com
Honduras Mission Trip
Gale and Roger Davis write that the Honduras mission trip scheduled for April still needs participants!! The missions committee of the church has made some funds available for participants.
The Board of Stewards Meeting Wednesday night voted to help us fund mission trip volunteers! We are REALLY hoping that this new funding will help with individual costs enough that you will now be able to join us! We are short 10 people for our April 20 trip!! To date, 10 of your best friends are signed up! We need you!
There will be a $500 credit toward an RUMC International mission trip for attendance at 4 of the following GIC events : Thursday Men’s or Women’s events, Friday morning Tour, Friday night Poverty simulation, Friday night dinner at Elizabeth Inn, Saturday morning Stop Hunger event, Saturday afternoon block party, any Sunday worship service (volunteering at any event is included) Credit of $250 toward an RUMC International mission trip expense for attendance at 3 of the above mentioned events. Non-transferrable.
Only RUMC members are eligible and, credits only apply to RUMC trips in 2017. Note: this will not be a strenuous trip. We will be on bumpy roads traveling in a van or bus but we can all handle the projects! Complete information can be found at http://wwwrumc.com/honduras
School Supplies for Honduras
Help We will be supplying school supplies for the children in our Honduras school when we go April 20. If you can help us with crayons, colored pencils, markers and glue sticks they will be so appreciated. Bring them to CUC and Gale Davis will make sure they get them.
If you and/or your grandchildren would like to make a craft for the children to make just give Gale a call. Any simple craft with the accompanying supplies will be great. We can also use small cosmetic bags. Thank you.
Homestretch Peachtree Tea
The 10th annual Peachtree Tea Champagne Reception and Lunch which benefits Homestretch will be held at the Country Club of the South, on Tuesday, February 28, 11;00-2:00. It is always a very nice event. Tickets are $75. There are already at least 11 CUC members going. Sign up to enjoy the tea, silent auction and raffle.
This is a great event and we would like to be well represented. To book tables, become a sponsor, or learn more about Homestretch visit www.homestretch.org/events or call 770-642-9185. For individual tickets and to register for the fabulous online auction visit www.tea2017.auction-bid.org .
To participate in the silent auction without purchasing tickets go to the www.homestretch.org/events website and at the Peachtree Tea logo click Register only. Your credit card will not be charged unless you are a bid winner.
A New Look at The Odd Couple
Acting UP will present Oscar & Felix: A New Look at The Odd Couple March 17-19 at RUMC. Tickets are on sale in the Sanctuary south lobby and online. Friday and Saturday dinner theater shows are $15/30;
Sunday matinee is $10/$25. Details: rumcActingUP.webs.com
RUMC Travelers Club
Sandra Nauman has recommended to the class that many of the RUMC Travelers Club activities might be of interest to CUC members. The club takes day trips as well as longer ones of several days. The next trip coming up is to Brumby, TN. For more information speak to Sandra or to Bonnie White.
Save the date!
You are invited to the 10th annual Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration. May 4, 2017, at 7 pm.
Save those Pull Tops and Labels!
Remember to save the pull tops from soda cans to support the Ronald McDonald House in Atlanta and bring them into Nancy Wright. We’re aiming for 10 pounds worth!
And for Red Bird Missions watch for those boxtops and labels!
- Mary Kay Mills – niece – Traer, she’s 37 and Mother of three, was just diagnosed with M.S. Please pray for her and her family.
- Donna Grosse’s – cousin – Joan in final stages chemo, she has pancreatic cancer and is not doing well. Please pray for Joan and her family.
- Dave Hills – Pastor Zbigniew Chojnacki – for his daughter Agnes, her husband died suddenly, please pray for her and their family.
- Bill Thompson’s – brother – Bruce Thompson passed away Wed – Feb 22. His wife had died 6 weeks ago. They lived in San Antonio, TX. Please pray for their family.
- Wanda Taylor – Wanda had a procedure Wed – Feb 22, checking her carotid artery. She has a 95% blockage. Wanda is in St. Josephs to have a procedure to remove the blockage on Thr – Feb 23. Terry anticipates that she will be home today – Friday. Please pray for Wanda.
- Mary Lee Copeland’s – Mother – Eva Thompson passed away peacefully Thr – Feb 23. Please keep Mary Lee and Dick Copeland and their family in your prayers.
- Sue Gardner – is back in class, and doing well after her recent hip surgery
- Bob Moore – Cecelia just had her routine check-up, and she remains cancer free!
- Bob Morrisey – Oldest granddaughter is pregnant, and he is excited about becoming a Great Grandfather
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Barbara Davis, Pat Peterson, Linda Temples as they continue to deal with health problems
- Frank and Betty Magaro at Brookdale – Neese Road Assisted Living, Woodstock
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Mon Feb 27 – Marlene MacLeod
- Tue Feb 28 – Jeannie Ehlers
- Sat Mar 4 – Linda Boswell
- Mon Feb 27 – Stella and Wilford Boayue – 1972
- Mon Feb 27 – Linda and Tom Cantrell – 1965
- February 28 –Homestretch Peachtree Tea
- March 2-5 – Global Impact Celebration
- April 22 – Homestretch Run the River Road Race
- May 4 – Believe Ministries Benefit Celebration.
- Aug. 3-5 – The Upscale Garage Sale
- November 1,2, and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat- Winshape Center, Berry College