But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare. Jeremiah 29:7
Sunday, January 15, 2017
The Bible Summed Up in Two Gardens, Two Caves, and Two Campfires
This Sunday Bob Fletcher returns to share with us – “The Bible summed up in Two Gardens, Two Caves, and Two Campfires”. We always appreciate Bob’s in-depth and insightful Bible discussions. Don’t miss it! We are all looking forward to this special start to another great year of fellowship and spiritual growth in CUC.
We are thankful for our CUC refreshments each week. This week they will be provided by Lenna & John Sharp and Sharon & Bob Schnakenberg.
CUC Super Bowl Party
Save the date of February 5 for a CUC Super Bowl Party! The party will be at the Diner at North Point beginning at 5:30. Heavy hors’deurves will be served. The clipboards will be passed this Sunday. Please sign up and bring $20 per person check or cash. If check, please make it to CUC and use the label party on the memo line. If unable to sign up this Sunday please contact Mike and Garlinn Story.
The Right Order of Things
Jim McCormick’s new book, The Right Order of Things, has arrived and will be available at CUC on Sunday! See Tom Knight for a copy. Many of you will recall that Jim shared parts of this book with us when he taught CUC a few months ago. It’s a great summary of Jim’s thoughts on Christian beliefs in our modern world presented in a simple way that all of us can understand.
The cost is $15 per book. Thanks to Jim, a $7 donation will be made to the RUMC Foundation for every book sold at RUMC. Make checks payable to the RUMC Foundation. If you didn’t sign up to receive a copy earlier there’s no problem. We have plenty available and Jim has personally signed every copy!
Evening with the Stars
Please join STAR House for an Evening with the Stars, Saturday, January 21st, at Country Club of the South, as we celebrate Reverend Dr. Malone & Charlotte Dodson for their years of service to our community. The night will be filled with fine dining, dancing, auction & fun while raising funds for STAR House and at-risk youth in North Fulton County. For additional information and online registration, please visit http://weblink.donorperfect.com/2017EveningwiththeStars
Help serve families who are in housing transition as we welcome them to the Dodson Center Jan. 15-22. Volunteers set up and tear down bedrooms, do laundry, prepare meals, and fellowship with our guests. Volunteer sign-ups: rumc.com/familypromise
- Jim Adcock – continued good recovery following kidney stone removal
- Linda Boswell – for good recovery following knee replacement surgery on Monday
- Jack Stadler – for good recovery following successful aortic heart valve replacement procedure on Thursday at St. Joseph’s.
Jack remains in CCU today (Friday) and will probably be discharged tomorrow. He and Gloria thank all for your prayers.
- Larry Douglas for successful Rotator Cuff surgery this coming Monday
- Pat Cooney on the death on Jan. 7 of her younger brother Leon Turpin in FL after a long illness. The Cooneys will remain in FL for the rest of the month to settle his estate.
Please remember Pat and our other members who lost loved ones during the holidays.
- Betty Dunn – in rehab making slow progress toward recovery
- Diana Frei – (former CUC member)– for a good recovery, in rehab following a second hip fracture
Ongoing CUC Prayer Requests
- Barbara Davis, Pat Peterson, Linda Temples as they continue to deal with health problems
- Frank and Betty Magaro at Brookdale – Neese Road Assisted Living, Woodstock
Please pray for needs expressed and unexpressed for friends and relatives of CUC class members who are facing illnesses, loss of loved ones, and important decisions to be made.
- Julian Belote – January 16
- Elaine & Roger Estill (long-time CUC members)- January 21, 1956 – 61 years!
- January 21 – Evening with the Stars
- February 5 – CUC Super Bowl Party
- February 28 –Homestretch Peachtree Tea – Country Club of the South
- April 22 – Homestretch Run the River Road Race
- November 1, 2 and 3 – CUC Annual Retreat- Winshape Center, Berry College